Sunday, October 15, 2006

Big Excitement at the Ranch Last Night!


The power went out! All I can say is, don't sign me up for Pioneer House any time soon. Knitting and reading by candlelight was sort-of nice, but you do not want to see my pathetic attempts to start a fire in the wood store. Luckily it turns out that the answer to the question "how many writers does it take to start a fire?" is only one, if that one is Gary.

Lights are on now, so the theme for today is gratitude for electricity.

1 comment:

K said...

I grew up with lightning storms and power outages- and I think I handled it with patience at least, and maybe some sense of adventure. But when I recently returned to my parents' house,and the power went out, I just got furious. So many things I wanted to do, and I was just stuck -trapped- I felt. I think it takes awhile to get used to that happening. In Uganda the power goes out every two days, because the whole grid is mismanaged, and you don't know when it's going to happen, but all of a sudden no more breaking news - you're sitting there in the dark for what could be hours or a whole day. Of course, it doesn't get cold, but a more or less modern house is just thrown back a century. No email, no satellite television, no phone charger, no refrigeration. I think over time it turns you into a buddhist.

just a theory.