Thursday, November 16, 2006

Not Such a Happy Dog

Rose and Fenton

We didn't have a good day at the ranch today. When I woke up at 9AM, I found blood on the floor in the room where Rose sleeps, and knew I had to get her to the vet. Since she weighs about 50% more than I do, right away I was worried about getting her into the back of Mo, but she helped, and somehow we got her in there. It was 20 degrees as we drove away from the ranch, and the edges of the river were frozen, as was the little bit of our dirt road that stays shaded all day long. I thought about what Karl used to always say - four wheel drive will help you go, but it's not necesarrily going to help you stop - and drove carefully. We made it to the animal clinic okay, and Doc Howard decided that Rose needed to stay at the clinic overnight for an IV. I was sort-of relieved when he said that he thought it was probably something she ate, thinking that's something she might get over in a few days, but she's the oldest of the three dogs, and it feels scary and sad to have her gone tonight.

Poor Fenton and MaryEllen have been on the lookout all day. They sat on the front porch and looked down the driveway, and MaryEllen, who usually loves sleeping on the couch more than anything, didn't really want to come inside at all. It's getting dark now and we're all inside, and I wish there was something nice to do for dogs other than give them pets and maybe a treat or two.

I'm supposed to call tomorrow morning and see what needs to happen with Rose, so think good thoughts for us. It would sure be nice to bring Rose home.

3 comments:

LadyGripe said...

Poor baby! I am sending her hugs with my brain.

That's good advice from Karl, by the way. There have been several occasions where our all wheel drive didn't help a certain driver, who shall remain nameless, stop.

Drive carefully!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

You are a good nurse, you are.

~S

Anonymous said...

kisses are good too!