Tuesday, May 22, 2007

How Many Ways Are There To Make You Happy?


Here's one way to make me happy - an old movie, some silk to knit, a fancy candle and a refreshing beverage (don't get too excited, it's just sparkle juice). It was a moody day in Seattle, chilly when I got up this morning and went for my latte on the way to my volunteer gig at Hugo House, then the sun came out for a little while, and then it poured rain tonight. Which was nice, actually. It made being in your pajamas and watching the rain come down in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof all the more pleasant.

On my fridge, there's this quote I love -

There's no duty so much underrated as the duty of being happy. By being happy we sow anonymous benefit upon the world. - Robert Louis Stevenson

That quote kept popping into my head today, as I ran around Seattle doing things I like to do. Actually, I've been thinking about that quote for the past year, really. I've been thinking that it's not only good to be happy, but that it's good to have a lot of different ways to get there, that part of growing up, becoming a more fully realized person, is expanding the ways that you can get to happiness. Which is why, as beautiful as Liz is in that white slip (where do you get a slip that is so fitted it has to zip up the side? damn, I want that!), and as much as I love watching her, I do not at all feel like a cat on a hot tin roof.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

1. That sounds like a divine afternoon.

2. If you find that slip, let me know.

3. Most importantly, where did you get that rug?