Monday, April 28, 2008

Just Some More Weekend Photos

I think Kate might be the official photo muse of this blog these days. She's a tolerant subject, doesn't get all self-conscious in front of the camera, or make photo faces. She stays Kate. She took a couple photos of me this weekend, and wow, I can't say the same about myself. I'm so much happier on the other side of the camera.

So, the Friday adventure was a trip out to Whidbey Island for a poetry festival, where we volunteered as stage managers. I was so happy to be on a ferry again, happy to be back on Whidbey. We had beautiful weather, and a ridiculously delicious meal late Friday night. A dozen little kumamoto oysters, sauteed fiddlehead ferns, lamb chops with this polenta that had been fried with honey and lavender, nicoise salad, and panna cotta and clafoutis for dessert.


On Saturday, we sat out on the lawn at Greenbank Farm with cheese and crackers, wine, lattes, and a whole lot of poets. By the end of the day, I was a little overwhelmed by all the poetry, actually. Audio overload.

The overload didn't stop me from buying a stack of books from the Copper Canyon Press table, though. I haven't been keeping up with my goal of a poetry book a week, but I caught up a little by buying six all in one go.

One of the poets who read during the part of the day I volunteered for was Washington State's (first!) Poet Laureate, Sam Green. He's one of those men who just has a nice humble presence, and he said the sweetest thing - he was telling the story of reading a love poem he had written for his wife of many years, and he said "Anyone who married my wife would have written love poems."

I loved that.

No comments: