Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Where's My Seeeeester?

Feather? Feather? Are you there?

I sent you an invitation.

While I am waiting.. what should I do?

I know, I'll tell you about my new goal.

Are you ready?

I am going to try to do something every week that I could only do in New York.

You see, every weekend we go away Friday through Sunday, so I have gotten really lazy about doing anything in particular Monday through Thursday. My schedule was sleep, work, cook, eat, clean, tv, sleep, gym, work, grocery shop, cook, eat, tv, sleep.

Rinse. Repeat.

But now, I have decided that at least once a week I have to participate in something unique to this metropolis. I mean, how sad is it to live in the biggest, most exciting city in the United States and act as though I live in 'Any City, USA'?

So, last night I went to the book launch party for that book I designed. I am still as awkward at parties as I was when I was twelve. It doesn't help when a lot of the faces at the party are people you grew up watching on TV and in movies. I can thoroughly understand that an above-middle-aged man may not want to hear a 30-something woman say "I grewaup watching re-runs of your show on TV! My Dad thought you were hilarious!"

Which brings me to last week, when I volunteered for NY Cares. It was a (cubist!) art workshop with 6-12 year olds from the housing project where the workshop took place. It's amazing how much 6-12 year old girls have in common with middle-aged publishing people and actors.

They are all 'best friends' but they are all mean to each other behind their backs.

I've only had the 'resolution' for three weeks, but you can see that the range of what qualifies as "something that I could only do in New York" is kind of broad.

Mostly, I just want to get out of the apartment during the week, and not turn into a complete vegetable.

Hugs!

Bagel Face

No comments: