Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Ten Reasons Why I Love My Climbing Ladies


Left to Right; Tamara looking uncharacteristically demure, Elizabeth in the arms of her handsome husband Adrian, and HK in her fragile but gorgeous dress from Blue.

My apologies for the poor photoshopping. I had limited photos here to choose from.

It's been a while since I have done much that could qualify as real climbing. I make random attempts at the gym and we did some rather pitiful top-roping in Alaska, but that's about it lately.

Back when I was climbing all the time, I had a posse of the most incomparable women. We spent so much time together. At the gym. At the crag. At whatever place we were occupying for the weekend - most commonly HK and her husband, Thor's, family house in Stoneridge.

Those were the weekends of climbing, heckling each other, trash talking and hubris, apres climb drinks at Bacchus or swimming at Split Rock, dishing about our love lives or lack thereof, gossiping mercilessly about all the other climbers we knew.

Just generally having a grand old time together.

Then Elizabeth moved away. And Tamara moved away. HK got a super-demanding job. I lost my climbing motivation.

Regardless, they are still my climbing ladies, and this is why I love them. Or at least some of why I love them.

1) Because they are strong and confident and funny and smart. And sarcastic. Especially sarcastic. And funny, did I mention funny? They could make me laugh at 200 feet. Even if I was the one leading.

2) Because they are all great role models on and off the rock. When I grow up I want to be as self-assured as Elizabeth, as brilliant as HK and as witty as Tamara. For now all I can do is hope some of these qualities rub off.

3) Because when I was climbing, they were my best cheerleaders. And when I am not climbing, they are still among my best cheerleaders.

4) Because even at their sportiest they are still stylish. They can rock the Patagucci like nobody's business.

5) Because, of all the people that I know, they really get Eugene. And they've made him, the fearless daredevil, squeal like a little girl on a big bad scary climb. CCK anyone?

6) Because, even though I haven't climbed seriously in years, I think they still give me credit for being a climber.

7) Because HK and Tamara were intrepid and loving enough to host a bridal shower with my mother-in-law. For about 50 of Carolyn's friends and family and virtually noone that they knew. That alone is enough to make me love them forever.

8) Because even if I haven't seen them in months, when we do see each other it's like five minutes has passed. That is a common quality of all of my favorite friendships.

9) Because the margaritas always taste better by the side of the pool in Stoneridge.

10) And last, but by no means least, because when I miss climbing - I mean really miss it - what I am actually missing is all the time we spent together. What I am really missing is them and the experience of climbing with them.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Aaawww...Lovely entry

h said...

You know, not to get sappy or anything, but that really was a golden moment, even though we didn't know it at the time. Climbing these days, esp. at the gym I find myself getting incredibly lonesome for the posse. Climbing is just not as much fun without you guys.

That said, margaritas by the pool in stone ridge is always available... come by any time. :-)