Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Visions of Carpet Covered Mushrooms

Dig the rainbow skates, yo!

So Saturday, after Eugene finished his 36 hour marathon at work, we hung out at the apartment vegetabilating. What did we choose to vegitabilate too? The fine piece of celluloid artistry known as Roll Bounce.

Now I know that I did not grow up black on the North Side of Chicago, but this movie took me BACK!

Back to Skate King, that is.

Oh for the days of the snowball, the all-skate, the birthday parties, bordello-esque carpeting and nude pleather skates. The movie really captured the essence of Skate King, right down to the carpet covered mushrooms we would sit on as we struggled into our skates.

Plus, the kids all capping on each other.... the Ronald McDonald looking culotte outfit... kids attacking each other with water balloons... boys in knee-high tube socks... choclate eclair popsicles... all the elements of a late seventies/early eighties childhood.

If only they had had someone wearing Gunniesaks...

(As an added bonus - the actor formerly known as Urkel playing the sexy baddass Sweetness is pretty entertaining.)

I remember the times when we went to skate - the birthday parties and Saturday afternoons. I remember watching the kids in the middle of the rink who could shoot the moon or do jumps. I always wanted to be one of those kids, so I would skate out and try jumping or twirling and I would inevitably fall. I'd be all sweaty and red-faced and messy.

You would always be the cute girl. Skating around making a perfect oval. With your perfect braids, ribbon woven hairclips and baby blue sweater.

You were always so cool.

I've always loved that about you.

Any hoo, if you haven't seen it I give Roll Bounce a thumbs up.

And the next time I am in Seattle, I fully want to go to Skate King. I know I could shoot the moon now... I just know it!

No comments: