Thursday, September 21, 2006

Fashion Week is OVER!


You may not think you look like a Heather, but you definitely don't look like a Heatherette!


Oh fiddle-dee-dee Fashion Week has come and gone.

As always, NY Magazine provided the very best, and most entertaining, coverage. They were brilliant to hire the Fug Girls to cover the festivities though, in the end, I enjoyed some of their other features better.

I loved their Video Look Book coverage. In particular Lauren Ezersky - of whom I have been a fan for a long time. I used to watch her 'Behind the Velvet Rope' show on the Style network and revel in the purely kitsch character that she channels. She is high drama FASHION people! With a crazy Jerzeeeeey accent thrown in for good measure.

I also appreciated the sneak peak coverage of the Project Runway finalists and, I can tell you, I am pretty sure I know who the winner is. And I was surprised!

However, I could be wrong.

This season the judges on that show have stupified me with some of their choices. The fact that Crazy Vincent won even ONE challenge blew my mind. So maybe they will j'adore some of the fugly crap that the other designers (The One Whom I Hate Above All Others in particular) threw up - and I do mean threw up.

And I would also like to point out that even if the designer whom I think should win doesn't win - the other designers all bit her style and had at least one outfit that reflected her 'signature' style.

The thing that cracked me up most - as always - was the coverage of the Heatherette line.

It has got to be the trashiest, publicity hungry, eye-bleedingly-ass-ugly line that I have ever seen. But you have to give them props for fully embracing the horror that is their own creation. It is as though they are determined to single-handedly supply the celebrity population with 'What Were They Thinking' outfits.

God Bless.

Not everyone should be rocking the black Calvin Klein sheath, or the John Galliano slip dress. Somebody has to show up in hot pink pleather with fringe and dammit Heatherette is determined to provide that person with wardrobe options! Somebody has to take responsibility for (attempting to) cover Bai Ling's privates and they are fully on the case.

Any hoo, now that it's over we can all breathe a sigh of relief that next spring we won't have to run around naked. The NY Fashion Gods have spoken and we are about to revisit the age of eighties colors and proportions.

This message has been brought to you by those unflattering skinny jeans (which even Kate Moss looks dumpy in), that leggings and mini skirt combo you thought you were done with in eighth grade, the drop waisted flapperesque dress, the fanny pack and the colors purple, electric blue and virtually any 'acid' color..

Plan ahead now people! Hit the Value Village near you! Flash back to those shopping trips to Esprit de Corps! Roll the Tears for Fears CD, mix in a little Depeche Mode and you're good to go!

I personally, will be staying away from all that. Once was bad enough for me.

No comments: