Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here's the meal I'm trying to recreate tonight. It's in the oven now, so cross your fingers for me! The one pictured above is a Pam masterpiece, and I think I pretty much followed her instructions, except that I brined the chicken, since mine wasn't a gorgeous all natural free-range fancy chicken from Whole Foods in Denver.

Later on I'm going to attempt a pumpkin pie, with a very handsome looking handmade pie crust bought from the bakery in Pagosa Springs. You can be totally unimpressed by this pie-baking nonsense because the filling is coming from a can. I know my limits, people.

There are so so many things to be thankful for today. I feel like I've gushed on and on lately about my great friends and family, and what a fantastic couple months this has been for me, so I'll spare you all more of that. It has also been really fun to get little notes and comments from people who like reading this blog, so that's another thing I'm thankful for. You all are too sweet to me, and very encouraging.

Guess what? Last night I got in bed at 10:30 (10:30!!). Not really by choice, it was because the power went out, and well, what are you gonna do? The power went back on at 1 or so, which made me very happy. Nothing like losing power (which, here, also means losing water) to make you appreciate the things that we consider totally basic to our modern lives. I think it was a good reminder for Thanksgiving eve.

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!

XOXO

1 comment:

LadyGripe said...

There is another trick to roasting chicken - a Nigella trick. You stuff half a lemon up it's bum, rub it allover with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast it for the first half hour with the breast down and then rotate it breast up for the rest of the time. Juicy and yummy even with sub-standard cheap birds which is what I usually get in vermont.

You can add a little butter and lemon juice and white wine to the roasting pan when you are done, boil it down and skim off the grease for a yummy sauce.

I am very proud of your culinary expertise. And I left you some olive oil and red pepper flakes to play with when you get home.