Thursday, March 29, 2007

Something for the Johnnies



Hey there. Just a quick post, trying not to be on the computer too much since that somehow seems antithetical to the whole unplugged moment I am having here in the UK. I'm having a little withdrawal from my cell phone and computer at the moment. Every once in a while I'll think something is buzzing in my pocket (always check for the wallet after that) or feel like I have forgotten something. But it isn't and I haven't, and that's nice, especially since I have been finding it difficult, since I left my job, to return any phone messages. If you have called me recently and I have not called you back, don't take it personally, you aren't the only one.

We have a long list of things to do tomorrow - there's a promising yarn shop, the Writer's Museum, which I imagine is totally hokey but which I can't help but want to see, and it would be nice to wander over for the view at Arthur's Seat, maybe dinner at the Oyster House, a few other things I'm not remembering now. And most importantly, a trip to the gallery opened by Kristin's husband's father.




What we're hoping for tomorrow is slightly sunnier weather, and, in Ella, a sudden development of interest in boring grown-up things and walking. I love the photo above, the look I'm giving Ella, which I interpret as bemused curiousity tinged with concern, sums up our day together today. I think she's taken having a stranger along quite well, but we do approach each other with some caution and I know when we part ways the day after tomorrow, she will be very happy to have her mum back.

She has really been one of the great pleasures of the trip for me. She wakes up in the morning and before she says a word, she looks over at you and her eyes crinkle up and she gives you a big sleepy smile and wriggles around in bed like it's the most delicious place in the world. When we got in the taxi for the airport this morning, the driver was utterly charmed by her. They told jokes back and forth. Here are a few for your pleasure:

taxi driver: Two eggs were in a pot, boiling away. One of them said to the other "It's hot in here, in't?" and the other said "Just wait until you get your head smashed in!"

Hmmm.... I think I like Ella's better. Here it is:

Ella: Why didn't the skeleton go to the party?
taxi driver: I dunno, why?
Ella: Because he didn't have any body to go with!

Okay, maybe a little longer than intended, but you liked it, right? You're gonna miss me when Kristin leaves me in London with no computer, aren't you? Sorry, you know, it's just really hard to tell without technology. Hee.

XOXO
H

No comments: