Monday, May 21, 2007

Last Week's Menu Wrap Up

Could you resist... I think not!

So, I only made it through Wednesday’s menu with the daily menu report, which shows just what a slacker I am when it comes to this blogging thing, but I am totally ready to wrap Thursday-Sunday up in a nice little package for anyone interested in such things.

Thursday

I had two eggs for breakfast and two cups of green tea – are you noticing a trend here? For lunch I had the same salad as Wednesday – spinach with cucumber, mushrooms, tomato, chick peas, walnuts, asparagus and goat cheese with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

I have a ‘Frequent Buyer’ card for salads. Buy ten and get a free one! I only have one more to go til my next free salad… Aren’t I virtuous?

Then came my downfall.

Our lovely, and soon to be departed Admin made a cake. A red velvet cake. I couldn’t resist and I had a small slice. It was heaven! But I haven’t had such a sugar rush in a looooong time!

We were supposed to be driving up to Vermont Thursday night but, as usual, Euge got stuck at work. So I made dinner. Turkey sausage sautéed with mushrooms and capers with Quinoa (made with chicken broth for extra protein.) And I had seltzer with triple-berry juice.

Friday

I had yogurt and two cups of green tea for breakfast. For lunch, I had the leftovers from Thursday’s dinner. I went for a glass of wine with my co-workers after work at this place (TGIF – woohoo) and I picked up chicken tacos from this place to eat while I waited for Euge to get out of work – so that we could finally drive up to VT!

Not a particularly exciting food day.

Saturday

We woke up late – because we didn’t get to the house until 1 am – and I made us a brunch of poached eggs and chicken apple sausage.

Eugene had to go to New Hampshire to buy some building supplies, so I gave him a grocery list. Mostly just to see what he would end up coming back with.

I included one item that I, personally, have never been able to find. Frozen artichoke hearts. I saw Giada deLaurentis using them on her show and I thought that it seemed like a good idea. Except that NO STORES CARRY THEM!

Euge wasn’t able to find them either. Though he was very successful in all other respects – even getting the organic frozen cut spinach that I like best.

We went to our neighbors for dinner – cheeseburgers, baked beans and sautéed zucchini. Other people consumed a fare amount of beer too. I was not one of them.

Sunday

We woke up late again (it was a long work week – we needed sleep!) Euge went straight for the coffee, I went for the green tea and poached eggs.

Neither of us was motivating towards food much… I find the smell of cleaning supplies kills my appetite. Euge was enjoying the nutritional value of hops and barley whilst mowing the lawn and stacking fire wood.

Late in the afternoon, we had roast boneless pork chops and spinach. Personally, I prefer the pork chops with the bone – much moister – but I did not buy the pork chops so.. oh well. They were passably moist.

Afterwards, I sinned again and had a peanut Klondike Bar. I am weak, no? Bad Allison! Bad!

On the drive back to Manhattan, I drank seltzer and juice. And ate some peanuts.

And that’s a wrap for a whole week of my eating!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I just bought a bag of frozen artichoke hearts at the 14th St. Trader Joe's last night. They seemed to have a lot in stock.

Don't know what I'm going to do with them though.

LadyGripe said...

Thank you! I will go find me some there... I figured it was probably a Whole Foods/Trader Joes kind of thing. That kind of irritates me since most people don't have Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

She was using them in a pasta sauce, which was how I wanted to use them.

Thankyou! Thank you! Thank you!