Saturday, June 30, 2007

Shift Change

We had another day of beautiful bad weather here. You can barely see it in this photo, but there's actually a rainbow to the left of the barn. Today was the first day we got rained on during our walk, but it kept the dogs close to me, and since I leave the day after tomorrow, that was an especially nice thing.

The wild irises are past their prime and during the day you can hear the cattle moving in on the land next door. There's a new foursome of horses on the other side of the fence and tomorrow Pam will come back and reclaim the ranch.

It's been a great two weeks for me. I read three novels (maybe I'll have a word or two on the last one, My Antonia by Willa Cather, for you later), lots of short stories and poems, and the most recent round of manuscripts from my writing group. I worked a little on my own story, and maybe in a few weeks it will be ready for a reader or two. Hard to say. What I did finish for sure was some knitting. Three hats, two pairs of socks and that silk scarf.

The best part of my time alone here was definitely seeing the dogs. I'm not quite ready to write about that, though. We have at least one more walk to go, plus a reunion with Fenton when he returns tomorrow, and no doubt, a few more treats, pets, and photos.


No comments: