Thursday, July 26, 2007

This is How We Deal With Migraines Around Here. Well, Sometimes...

You know those ads, where the woman has the migraine or whatever ailment, and is all "Oh NO! Not TODAY!" and then the Excedrin Extra Strength or whatever comes along to cure her? That was totally me today. I missed the last day of my writing workshop this morning because of a migraine.

Lunch was a different story. My former boss and I had lunch scheduled with the CEO from the company where we worked together, and that just isn't one of those things that's easy to reschedule, so instead, I got my sorry self out of bed and put on some pretty shoes. I'm sure that's why I'm feeling so so much better now (couldn't be the many many milligrams of modern medicine that I ingested).

For a while now, I've been wanting to write something about migraines. That's not going to happen today, because that's a piece that will take quite a bit of work, but I know it's in me somewhere. Just like the piece about why I love Willie Nelson the way I do. But let's add it to the list, shall we? Along with the piece about stories that happen over text message and... I better stop now or I'll never write these things.

All of this is just to say that for some reason (maybe because this week I started sending out resumes finally) I am really happy with the way the writing is going. There are tons of things I want to work on, and when I sit down at the computer or with my notebook (I'm writing longhand a lot these days) they are still there and willing to materialize on paper. I might end up neglecting the blog a little more, or I might end up posting those almost-short-stories, like my most recent post. You'll have to let me know how you feel about that.

In other news, I'm still chipping away at Steinbeck's "Travels With Charley". It's a great bedtime read, mostly because his chapters feel like entries in a journal, the kind you make at the end of the day, reflecting on everything. Plus it's funny, and not sinister like "Positively Fifth Street", the book by James McManus (non-fiction) about the whole crazy world of poker. Because, um, HELLO! We are GOING TO play poker, ladies. If I have to come over there and drag your sorry asses out of your houses, WE WILL PLAY!

Don't worry about the hat thing, I can provide the hats. You'll look good in them, I swear. My hats are sweet.

1 comment:

LadyGripe said...

Wow, we totally cross-posted!

I hope you are feeling better. I woke up with the beginning of a migraine at 5 AM last Sunday and, with a four-year-old in the house I just knew that wasn't going to work... so somehow I managed to nip it in the bud.

God Bless caffeine and Alleve.

Love you!