Wednesday, January 16, 2008

In Which Susan Attempts To Help This Blog Live Up To Its Name, And I Let Her, In Spite of My Tremendous Modesty, Because I Love Her


Ode to a trip to Portland

I am not a writer but Heather is. And an appreciator of people. An amazing person. An amazing friend.

I am not a writer. I'm a nurse with sub par spelling and grammar. A girl who falls asleep at 10:00 with the TV on on a Saturday night. And Heather is my tolerant best friend who covers me with a shawl and tries to turn off the TV despite my protests and slips quietly out the door to go...well... Be Heather.

I am not an artist but Heather is. I get my coffee and smile at the barista, but Heather will notice, appreciate, and document. Turning a simple exchange into something more special, a photo, perhaps a short story later.

I am not an artist, I step over, walk by, and completely miss things that Heather notices and shows to those of us too busy, too preoccupied, or too far inside our own heads to notice.

Heather observes, appreciates, absorbs, then creates. And the world is a better place because of it.

Thanks for a great weekend, girlee!!
~ S


* she really did write this, I swear!

1 comment:

Barb said...

Despite what Susan says about NOT being a writer, she obviously is. Lovely. And of course she gets what we all get and the reason we tune in to read Heather's words every day. The world is a more beautiful place because of Heather.